ftp server frustrating

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 19:50:15 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 12:26,  the author Lowell Gilbert contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: ftp server frustrating:

>Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> writes:
>> I still cant understand why the cut off is set so short!!
>
>Well, for one thing, it *isn't* as short as you were claiming; my
>testing right now indicates that it's (at least) over a minute.
My testing here does conflicts with yours. there seems to be some network
delays for freebsd.. I do not know when the timing starts --

I get a message from the server that cuts me off when I am tryiong to log in
saying I did not login within 15 seconds. Here is an example output from
ftp.freebsd.org when logging in:
Name (ftp.freebsd.org:root): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
421 Disconnecting you since you didn't login successfully within 15 seconds.
ftp: Login failed.
I have found that logging by typing my email address is virtually impossible.
The only way to do it in time is to copy the email address to clipboard
>Perhaps you are running into problems with a local firewall that is
>cutting off your connection?

There is no firewall

>For another thing, the connection controls are *much* less stringent
>on most of the mirror servers.

I am really asking why does it have to be so short  - what is the reason?

>The fact that some mirror wasn't
>working for you was a separate problem which can be solved
>separately.

This seems to happen with some regularity at the moment -- some files seem not
to be found when fetching that I can get manually but ONLY from freebsd.org.
Whether files take some time to propogate -- maybe because I keep my
distfiles up to date I experience that problem more often than the average..
It just seems to me that the access is unreasonably tight.

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.