Weird problems with xorg 6.8.2

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue May 31 19:35:32 GMT 2005

My apologies for the length of this message, but it's necessary to provide
all the pertinent info.  If this is more pertinent to an Xorg list, point
me there, but I've googled like crazy and haven't seen anyone discussing
this problem.

I just did a fresh install of 5.4 RELEASE, and I'm having a very weird
problem with xorg.  I'm running a dual head, single video card setup (ATI
Radeon X300) using xinerama, and when I first start xorg-server, the right
monitor does not display anything.  The light on the monitor is green,
indicating that it's getting a signal, but the screen is blank.  Some time
later the second monitor will begin displaying its half of the desktop.

Through testing, I've determined that the second monitor displays only
*after* the system has gone to sleep (acpi).  If I put the system to sleep
quickly, as soon as it wakes up, the second monitor displays.  (This is a
dual boot system, and the Windows XP setup displays both monitors just
fine, so I know it's not a hardware problem - it's a brand new box anyway -
although it *could* be a driver problem, I suppose.  I've tried both the
ati driver (which is what xorg -configure detects) and the radeon driver
with no change in behavior.)

When I first installed, everything worked as expected - both monitors
displayed immediately.  After I cvsup'd and ran portupgrade, I began to get
this behavior.  Assuming it was something in the upgrade of xorg-server, I
deinstalled xorg and xorg-server, reinstalled from the packages on the CD
and restarted X.  Nothing changed.

I've thought about deinstalling xorg-client as well (and maybe libraries?)
or just remove all packages and start over, but before I do that, is there
a way to debug this?  I've been reading man pages, but I can't seem to find
a way to start the xorg-server with a debug switch (or verbose, for that
matter) enabled so I can get some useful messages in the logs.  (Sure hope
you don't have to compile to get debug!)

Technical details:

uname -a
FreeBSD {hostname}.utdallas.edu 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May
8 10:21:06 UTC 2005
root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

grep display /var/run/dmesg.boot  | less
pci1: <display, VGA> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
pci1: <display> at device 0.1 (no driver attached)

Xorg -scanpci shows two devices (it's actually a Radeon X300):

(1:0:0) unknown card (0x1002/0x0402) using an unknown chip (DeviceId
0x5b60) from ATI Technologies Inc
(1:0:1) unknown card (0x1002/0x0403) using an unknown chip (DeviceId
0x5b70) from ATI Technologies Inc

You'll notice that the display logs indicate a problem with BusID 1:0:1,
but that's because I'm not using it.:

less /var/log/\:0.log

X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 5.4 i386 [ELF]
Current Operating System: FreeBSD {hostname}.utdallas.edu 5.4-RELEASE
FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May  8 10:21:06 UTC 2005
root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386
Build Date: 04 April 2005
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue May 31 14:16:16 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

And the Xorg log shows a warning indicating that the secondary monitor was
not detected:

grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/" does not exist.
(WW) ATI:  PCI Mach64 in slot 1:0:1 could not be detected!
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
disabled
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering not yet supported on Radeon 9500 and newer
cards
(WW) RADEON(1): Direct rendering not yet supported on Radeon 9500 and newer
cards

My xorg.conf file:
 less /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      380   310     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL 1905FP"
 ### Uncomment if you don't want to default to DDC:
#       HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
#       VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      380   310     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL 1905FP"
 ### Uncomment if you don't want to default to DDC:
#       HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
#       VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection