I am sure I am dense - but I dont know why!!

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 19:13:13 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 11:24,  the author Jerry McAllister contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: I am sure I am dense - but I dont know why!!:

>> I have just installed ncftp
>> Can anyone please explain how it is possible to get :
>>
>> ncftp> lookup ftp.freebsd.org
>> ftp.freebsd.org:
>>     Name:     ftp.freebsd.org
>>     Address:  62.243.72.50
>>     Address:  204.152.184.73
>> ncftp> open ftp.freebsd.org
>> Resolving ftp.freebsd.org...
>> Unknown host "ftp.freebsd.org".
>
>It looks like your ftp client did more than one lookup, one for some
>connection check and another when you did the open.
>Getting an unknown host error could happen if there was a timeout during
>the DNS lookup - eg. it took too long for your DNS server to respond.

Well I got the unknown host "ftp.freebsd.org" from:
# ncftp ftp.freebsd.org

first - so I then did some dns checks and then the sequence above.

The weird thing is:
I have not had any other program time out .
There are 5 dns servers listed in /etc/hosts and they all repond to other look
ups without timeout.
It always happens with ncftp.

Still puzzled

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.