ftp server frustrating

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 16:20:43 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 08:59,  the author Lowell Gilbert contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: ftp server frustrating:

>Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> writes:
>> The real question is why do the timings have to be so tight? What is the
>> point of trying to prevent manual use by such low setting?
>
>It's not a big deal for legitimate users, because you can use a .netrc
>file (see the ftp(1) manual).  But it does cut down on denial-of-service
>caused by automated tools (usually accidental, in my experience).

Look not everyone is permanently connected.

Not everyone can always use their freebsd system to get the file they need.

No everyone is in a position to use those tools every time.

Please consider conditions for connections by users who are not land based,
orr office based, or permanent connection based, or even freebsd based!!!

It is the general problem that concerns me - if I am in some goddamned foreign
port trying to get an individual file by a slow ftp connection from my
waterproof windows rugged tablet for subsequent transfer to my on below decks
freebsd server I do not want to have to be frustratingly disconnected because
the typing speed on my tablet is limited!

Even automated connections get dropped because the setting are sooooo low -
many times when connected I have had a fetch stop due to ftp.freebsd.org
unnecessarily dropping a connection due to tight time outs.

David
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.