ftp server frustrating

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 15:48:17 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 08:38,  the author Tobias Fendin contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: ftp server frustrating:

>Vizion wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>When I need to log on to  ftp.freebsd.org manually 15 seconds (the allowed
>>login time) is insufficient  (especially when I am using my tablet) -- and
>> I sometimes get logged out if I have a long file name to get. This seems
>> to happen when there is a long file name to enter.
>>
>>Please can you raise the limits so they are reasonable for manual ftp
>> access. It is sometimes needed when for one reason or another one cannot
>> obtain the file automatically. There are also occasions when the server
>> drops connections on automatic access due to network delays.
>>
>>My experience is that the time settings are overly tight.
>
>Why don't you try a mirror site?

Because the mirrors have failed due to an automatic update failing to find a
file -- so I go to the horses mouth manually.
>You can find them in the handbook.

If I leave my boat, carrying my tablet, to get a file, (which had previously
failed to download automatically, trying to sort out which mirrir to use when
I am in starbucks is not much fun when I know the mirrors have already
failed!!

The real question is why do the timings have to be so tight? What is the point
of trying to prevent manual use by such low setting?

>    -Tobias

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.