SB Awe 64 ISA PNP Problem Model CT4500

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 31 04:18:51 PDT 2005

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> I have no idea if your sound card is supported or not.  To found out, do
>     cd /boot/kernel
>     ls snd_*
>
> then one at a time
>
>     kldload snd_{next driver}
>
> until you load one which produces some messages on the console about
> recognising your hardware.
>
> Then put a line in /boot/loader.conf like
>
> snd_{your driver}_load="YES"
>
> e.g.
>
> snd_driver_load="YES"
>
> which catches my AC97 on-board sound hardware.

Oops, spreading minor misinformation :-(

snd_driver appears to load *every* sound card driver, so if you load it and your sound card is detected, then one of the other drivers ought to work.  To figure out which one, it seems you still have to follow the procedure above (though missing out snd_driver), or make educated guesses based on the device info you got when snd_driver loaded.  I couldn't see anything which specifically identified the driver in my console message.

(I guess you could just load snd_driver and be done with it, but purists (i.e. retentive obsessives like me ;-) ) don't like loading lots of stuff they know won't be used).

--Alex