General PHP Port Question

Bjoern Koenig bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue May 31 04:17:17 PDT 2005

Bill Schmitt (SW) wrote:

> I think I'm missing something pretty basic. There appear to be two ways
> to install php4; using the port under lang/php4 and using the port under
> www/mod_php4.

There are further ways. You missed 'www/php4-cgi' and
'lang/php4-extensions'.

> The "Long Description" under each is the same. Under Lang,
> the "Short Description" refers to CLI, but otherwise they appear to be
> the same thing. Other than the CLI reference, what is the difference
> between installing one or the other

Well it's quite simple: 'lang/php4' installs the Apache Module and a
command line interface while 'www/mod_php4' installs the Apache Module only.

> and why is one listed under lang and
> the other under www?

'lang/php4' with the command line interface gives the ability to create
scripts which have nothing necessarily to do with the web. It's more
general. Furthermore this port is the base of all ports which deal with
php4, e.g. misc/php4-calendar or devel/php4-ncurses.

'www/mod_php4' is for use with the Apache web server only and therefore
a piece of software which belongs to the 'www' category.

Björn