installing boot0 via dd

Tue May 31 01:08:47 PDT 2005

I have a sony Vaio U50.  It's a pretty cool device but sony seems to
be locking out non-Sony floppy/cdrom drive during the boot process.
As a result I can't use either of my usb-floppy or usb-cdrom drive,
even though the bios boot order is set to try floppy, optical drive,
then HDD.

I want to install boot0 onto the MBR so at least i'll have the option
of booting from a second harddrive.

Here is what I am thinking...
1) go to a different freebsd box with boot0 already installed.
2) use dd to grab a image file of the MBR
3) boot into knoppix on the machine (i already have it installed on the HDD)
4) use dd to load the image file to the MBR

can someone tell me if the following commands are correct for grabbing
and reloading the MBR?
1) on Freebsd:  dd if=/dev/ad0 of=boot0file bs=1b count=1
2) on knoppix:  dd if=boot0file of=/dev/hda bs=1b count=1