KDE and Gnome

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:10:30 PDT 2005

2005/5/31, Tina Neil <tneil at innernet.net>:
> I have a old laptop which after the suggestion of another programmer i installed FreeBSD. I have used this some before, but because it is free we have decided to use this for are small club.  I have a compaq armanda and i installed both KSE and Gnome and when i go to use them it says Command not found. Is it me or the laptop. also can you tell me how to get my computer to "start" with gnome instead of going into the text part of FreeBSD.
> Please Help

In order to start KDE, for example, you would first `echo startkde >
~/.xinitrc` and then startx would bring it up.  GNOME has something
similar, though I can't remember it offhand.  In order to start with a
graphical login manager, you edit /etc/ttys.  Both of these questions
can readily be answered by reading the handbook available free and
online at www.freebsd.ord/handbook.  Please consult the FreeBSD
Handbook as the first source to find answers to your FreeBSD
questions.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.