FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon May 30 20:52:05 PDT 2005

> I want to use FreeBSD for our robotics club.  I am a programmer so what i
> want to know is what would be better for us to use Windows XP or FreeBSD.
> For the most part we want to go with FreeBSD.

SO use FreeBSD.  It is a very good system and if you stick with it and
take the time and effort to learn about it, you will be rewarded by knowing
much more about how a real system works and how to control things precisely
as you want.  You are unlikely to do that very well with MSwin.

> Also the text scares some members so what would be better for us to use KDE
> or gnome.  What would you suggest for us to compile with on freebsd.  i want
> to use C++. would bloodshed c++ run on FreeBSD.

By text, do you mean a command line environment?   First of all, it gives
you better specific and detailed control of your system.   Secondly, you
quickly learn to use command line stuff as second nature and will find
yourself becoming impatient with the fancier windows-like way of managing
the system.  Third, it is completely possible to create a GUI type of
environment for some specific thing such as manipulating a device.

As for KDE or Gnome, I would suggest that you just try them out and see what
works best for you - I rarely use either, but stick with a more basic X-Win
environment.   All of KDE, Afterstep and Gnome and maybe some others can
co-exist on the same system with each user choosing which they prefer
and switching from one to another as it suits them.

It takes a little longer and a little more initial effort to learn FreeBSD.
But, the rewards are significant and long lasting.

////jerry