HP LC II Netserver PNP BIOS

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon May 30 14:13:05 PDT 2005

Hi Denny,

  I used to admin a network with a number of those systems on it
but it's been years since I've dealt with one, so I've forgotten
everything from the BIOS screen.  But I did know that HP had the
manuals online, so when you said you had no manual for it, I
naturally assumed that you were unaware that HP is still supporting
them (after a fashion) and that a few minutes work would get you the
manual.  Now, if you had posted something like "I read the manual
and the option isn't in there" that would have been different.
You could try running eisaconfig on it and setting the Operating
System parameter to SCO Unix or some such, but I don't know if this
is even an option, much less if it would work.

  I have a customer that ran one of these systems for years with
FreeBSD 4.X on it  (4.8 I think) so I know that the 4.x series will
at least run on them.  As I recall these are Pentium 200Hmz systems,
correct?  If so, FreeBSD 5.X won't get you anything more than
what you would get for 4.X.  These systems made really
nice, solid little servers in their day.  Even today they are
good for small tasks like network monitoring, etc. and if I were
in your shoes I would certainly want to use the system if I had
something for it that wasn't too taxing on the CPU.  But you
are like a lot of people who have posted on this forum in the
last few years who have tried pushing older hardware to run
FreeBSD 5.X, sometimes it works but most of the time it doesen't
seem to.  I never even bother booting 5.X on anything that isn't
at minimum a Pentium II 500Mhz system nowadays.

  The only other suggestion I would make is to ask in a hardware
forum, or on Usenet in a hardware forum.

Ted