Clients receive only first 4k (issue with pf.conf)

Scott Stevenson scott at maxify.com
Mon May 30 11:42:55 PDT 2005

I originally asked about this back in February:

     <http://www.monkey.org/freebsd/archive/freebsd-questions/200502/
msg03071.html>

Then just posted again recently with more details:

     <http://monkey.org/freebsd/archive/freebsd-questions/200505/
msg00846.html>

I *finally* figured out that pf was responsible. Specifically, this
line:

     out on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } all keep state

Everything's fine if I change it to this:

     out on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } all

The stock version of pf.conf has the "keep state" version, though
it's commented out by default. Is this a bug in pf, or is it normal
behavior? Is it reasonable to use the version without the "keep
state" qualifier?

Thanks,

    - Scott