SB Awe 64 ISA PNP Problem Model CT4500

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon May 30 09:20:37 PDT 2005

Richard Heldmann wrote:

>I am a newbie and have installed the 5.4 Release.  I've configured the
>wireless network, nvidia-driver, and xorg.  I've also recompiled the kernel
>to include the sound driver and snd_sbc for my sound card.  Thanks to the
>developers of FreeBSD, contributors to the handbook, the book, "The Complete
>FreeBSD" and Google for making it possible.
>
>Unfortunately, the sound card is not working.  Please see the attached dmesg
>log, and let me know if you have any ideas on how I can fix it.

In 5.X it is better *not* to compile the sound card (and many other) drivers directly into the kernel, but to load them as modules when the machine boots.  This makes it easier e.g. to change drivers when you change sound cards.

I have no idea if your sound card is supported or not.  To found out, do
	cd /boot/kernel
	ls snd_*

then one at a time

	kldload snd_{next driver}

until you load one which produces some messages on the console about recognising your hardware.

Then put a line in /boot/loader.conf like

snd_{your driver}_load="YES"

e.g.

snd_driver_load="YES"

which catches my AC97 on-board sound hardware.

--Alex