4.11-RELEASE install error

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Mon May 30 07:25:47 PDT 2005

On Sunday 29 May 2005 09:35 pm, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Scratch the entire thing and start over.  Next time, do the minimal
> install, and do NOT do an x-user install.  Do not install ports.
>
> Once the system is running, cvsup a current ports collection then
> make install on x, gnome, & kde.
>
> What is supplied with 4.11-release is old and a number of utilities -
> like firefox - will not build on it anymore.
>
> Ted

I don't want to offend anyone, but is this the official FreeBSD.org position?

I had hoped that 4.11 would be the crown jewel of the 4.x series and would be
worth buying on CD or DVD.  I know that what Ted says is the unpolished
truth. I've went thru various installs, selecting different configs each time
and I noticed that KDE 3.4 wasn't in 4.11-RELEASE.

I wish the core team saw each release as a milestone captured in posterity.

Anyway, I performed a couple installs last night directly from CD rather than
the ftp directory that I created with cp -R /cdrom/* .

I notice that during a CD install, the progress bar sometimes appears to back
up, perhaps indicating a read that has to be performed again.  Perhaps when I
use cp, there isn't anything detecting these read errors and I get corrupt
data?

So to check out this theory, I downloaded the ISOs again and I'm going to
mount them and cp into the directory again.

I love Unix in general and FreeBSD in particular.  I wish the core team
wouldn't turn their back on the 4.x series so quickly.  Please, please,
please schedule a 4.12 release that's as pristine as possible.