Seagate HD not detected by FreeBSD

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net
Mon May 30 05:29:38 PDT 2005

* Ted Mittelstaedt [2005-05-29 10:28 -0700]
:
>  So yes, there is something wrong with a primary master and a secondary
>  slave.  Just because it works on a lot of motherboards, and just
>  because it worked in the past on old incorrectly manufactured IDE
>  cables, running in PIO mode, doesen't make it per-standard, and
>  definitely doesen't make it right electrically if using CS, as per the
>  standard.  As I said already, motherboards take a lot of shortcuts and
>  do a lot of non-standard things.

You are right, it's not a UDMA standard per se! And I was wrong to say
that there was *nothing* wrong with that setup. However, it was not
*entirely* wrong, either (allthough a peculiar setup). It's just that it's
always worked for me, but it seems I was lucky.

Btw, do you have any pointers to that standard?
And also; could you try to fix your line lenght problem?

Svein Halvor