syslogd and pipe to email

Jim Pazarena fquest at ccstores.com
Sun May 29 23:37:49 PDT 2005

I would like to email some kernel.warning messages
to myself via the pipe action in syslog.conf, but I'm
getting hung up on the fact that the pipe stays open
(unless I HUP syslogd).

The man page suggests that a script wrapper can be
written to capture one line output and exit, but I wonder
if there is any other method, such as an option/flag
I am missing to terminate the pipe after, say, 30 seconds?
I would rather have a script which waits at least 30 seconds
before terminating rather than after one line, because some
of the records I am looking for are multi-line, and I'm not
sure if a script can be made to timeout.

TIA