4.11-RELEASE install error

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Sun May 29 14:36:58 PDT 2005

I'm installing via ftp from one of my own servers where I copied disc1-gnome,
disc2.

I did a minimal install and a x-user install, selecting gnome.
These two installs worked fine.

Then I copied disc1-kde into the same directory that the previous two discs
went into.

This time I elected x-user install and I elected to install linux compat
(which I had done during the gnome install as well).

It aborted with:
"Add of package linux_base-8-8.0_4 aborted, error code 1 - Please check the
debug screen for more info."

The debug screen says:
<snip>
./share/perl/man/cat3 missing (created)
/usr/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/usr/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
/usr/bin/tar: Child returned status 1
/usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
pkg_add: tar extract of - failed!
pkg_add: unable to extract table of contents file from '-' - not a package?

--
i386 FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE
There are 10 types of people in this world. Ones that understand binary and