Top Posting (was: [Freebsd 5.4 not finding my NIC])

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sat May 28 09:45:24 PDT 2005

someone wrote:

>>> Think about the effect of long paragraphs and then having to move
>>> backwards and forwards and you read one paragraph downwards and
>>> then are
>>> foprced to move upwards to read the subsequent posting....
>>> Tha means scanning and rescanning.
>>> Top posting  is neither sensible or practicable for the reader.
>>> I learnt from those who showed me when I started using email well
>>> before
>>> the internet began.
>>> Take care

Utter BS.  You don't have to move back and forth to the top and to
the bottom.  A lot of us follow a thread and don't like to have to
read the whole thread each time an update is made.  There are times
when top posting is MORE APPROPRIATE and times when top post is LESS
APPROPRIATE.  Top posting is not evil and often is EASIER to read.
And often not.  But long drawn on threads are often read easier with
top posting so that those of us who remember what happened earlier in
the thread can get to the meat of it and we can just scroll down as
much as necessary to catch up.  If everyone top posted in a thread it
is easy to read that way.

Email user since before 1984.

Chad