Adding a FormFeed to an LPR printcap file?

Rick Preston rickjpreston at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:10:33 PDT 2005

Hi,

I believe that :sh is called suppress header and that it suppresses
the banner page.  Form feed is a control character.  hex 0c.  In the
past I have added it to the bottom of my text or PCL documents or
added it in the printer interface script on UNIX systems that use the
lpsystem print subsystem.  I'm not sure if it would go in the :if or
:of in the printcap or even how to add it (why I didn't respond
earlier)  I haven't worked on the BSD spooler since FreeBSD 3.3 so I'm
a little rusty.

You might look at the printer, I've seen on some where you can add a
timeout to eject the last page and if you are doing job based or page
based printing, you can set the value low.  If you are doing line
based printing, that could cause the printer to eject the paper before
you finish printing.

good luck,