Man page viewing problems

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat May 28 07:43:05 PDT 2005

"J. Johnston" <jeremy at cvs.freeworld.nu> writes:

> After searching the mailing list I couldn't find much regarding this
> issues (or manpages on groff)

Well, if you can't show man pages, then you would have a problem with
reading the ones about the formatter for the man pages...

But the documentation for groff is in info pages anyway; the man pages
for it are only a secondary output of the info.  Try "info groff".

> %man make.conf
> Formatting page, please wait.../usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
> /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
> Failed.
> /usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
> /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'

Looks like the fonts files are missing.  Do you have the file
/usr/share/groff_font/devascii/DESC?