Problem with HT support in 5.4

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Sat May 28 06:45:54 PDT 2005

On 05/27/05 09:28 PM, Mike Tancsa sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:30:46 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, wait, it is probably just the last HT security patch,
> >> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:09.htt.asc.
> >
> >hmm... So basically, SMP can be enabled, but it won't use HT even if it
> >sees a capable processor?
>
> Unless you use the ULE scheduler (which is broken and buggy on
> RELENG_5) there is no benefit to using HT. In fact, it will make some
> things worse.

Are you sure about that?  I'm using the BSD scheduler on 5.3
(upgrading to 5.4 later today), with HT enabled, and I don't have
problems.  In fact, I can do a make buildworld AND play neverwinter
nights at the same time without seeing any problems.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

I do desire we may be better strangers.
    -- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"