Problem with HT support in 5.4

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at fastmail.fm
Fri May 27 12:57:40 PDT 2005

> > Oh, wait, it is probably just the last HT security patch,
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:09.htt.asc.
>
> hmm... So basically, SMP can be enabled, but it won't use
>HT even if it sees a capable processor?

Not sure but after reading:
<NOTE:  For users that are certain that their environment is
not affected by this vulnerability, such as single-user systems,
Hyper-Threading Technology may be re-enabled by setting the
tunable "machdep.hyperthreading_allowed". >
I whould try:
# echo "machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1" >> /boot/loader.conf

but I am a newbie to FreeBSD using a Pentium II, and indeed
the only user -I hope- of my system.

--Paul