DVD burners and the Adaptec 2200S RAID controller...

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri May 27 07:09:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 01:38:29PM +0200, Olaf Greve wrote:

> Either way: I personally like that separation as well. I have another
> good Adaptec SCSI controller, but I think it's a bit a pity to
> 'sacrifice' that just for a DVD burner (it's currently installed in a
> machine I have specifically set-up as MySQL database stress tester). :P
>
> Hmmm, I wonder what good ATA options there are... Otherwise, I guess
> I'll simply have to add another SCSI controller.

Most of what you need is already in the GENERIC kernel. The rest is a
available as modules. IIRC, you have to load the cam.ko module.

Just use the ATAPI DVD burner via CAM. AFAICT it's very stable. I
haven't burnt a coaster yet. An SCSI DVD burner is bound to be more
expensive.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.