Trouble installing 5.4-release

Andrey d1pro at yandex.ru
Fri May 27 02:04:58 PDT 2005

Hello, freebsd-questions.

I have downloaded 2 iso images of 5.4-release from official ftp. md5
checksums are identical with those on ftp.
I'm trying to install it on my home machine and installation fails
with errors.

When I'm loading sysinstall with [default] configuration, I got
ufs_baddir error during file operation (i.e. while extracting ports
collection) or I got "bus error" and ldconfig, pkg_add and others
fails with "segmentation fault".

But if i boot in safe mode, installation went good with no errors.
After restarting, I'm boot up with default config. System seems to
work properly but it also can fail with segmentation fault error or
ufs_baddir and hangs up my computer. After rebooting I got my file
systems destroyed.

I even tryed to manually rebuild kernel for my machine configuration,
but it also destroyed my file system.
I'm making clean install. Before 5.4 i have installed 5.2.1 and it
works without any errors. I also have Microsoft Windows XP and
Mandrake Linux 10 Community installed - both works without any
glitches.

My system configuration:
P4 Northwood 1.8 Ghz (400Mhz system bus)
MB: ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX)
RAM: 512 Mb DDR333
HDD: Seagate 200Gb (primary master, i'm installing FreeBSD here),
IBM IC35 60Gb (primary slave)
CD: NEC ND-3500 DVD+RW (secondary master), TEAC DV-516D DVD-ROM
(secondary slave)
Other: AGP GeForce 6600, SB Live! 5.1, D-Link DFE-530TX Network
adapter.

Whats wrong? 5.2.1 works fine on that system.
And also, I got invalid geometry warning in fdisk, but Partition Magic
8 after that says that partition have invalid geometry data - LBA and
CHS values are not identical. I got such error on 5.2.1 too.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm not native english speaker :)

--
Best reagrds,
 Andrey                          mailto:d1pro at yandex.ru

Web: http://rurap.ru