Good CPUTYPE setting for make.conf for mixed environment?

Ryan Rempel rgrempel at gmail.com
Thu May 26 18:38:49 PDT 2005

I've got several machines that I want to maintain identical
installations on. Some of them have athlon-xp CPUs and some have
pentium4's.

What would be a good CPUTYPE setting to use in make.conf? Would an
athlon-xp run well (or at all) if I used pentium4? Would a pentium4
run well (or at all) if I used athlon-xp? Or should I use a "lowest
common denominator" (and if so, what -- something like i686 perhaps?).

I guess the other question is whether I should worry about this at all
-- I've got no CPUTYPE setting in make.conf at the moment at all --
would a more "tuned" setting actually make that much difference?