Mysql vs /var partition...

Barry Byrne barry.byrne at wbtsystems.com
Thu May 26 10:45:30 PDT 2005

Matt:

Most likely a permissions problem. I generally create a new directory on a
different partition for the mysql data. You might want to use tar to
preserve your permissions Something like this should work:

Enusre mysql server is stopped

mkdir /data/mysql
chown mysql:mysql /data/mysql
chmod 700 /data/mysql
cd /var/db/mysql
tar cf - . | ( cd /data/mysql ; tar xvf - )
mv /var/db/mysql /var/db/mysql.old
ln -s /data/mysql /var/db/mysql

Restart mysql

Check the ownerships/permissions of the existing /var/db/mysql to be sure of
what you need.

 - Barry