NFS broken after upgrading to 5.4

Viren Patel virenp at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 26 05:49:54 PDT 2005

> What does ^T show for the status of the 'hung' process?
> Are you
> certain that DNS resolution is working correctly on both
> machines?
>
> Kris

Thanks for your help. Interestingly when I tried the
mounts this morning they all worked, so I can't provide ^T
output. Go figure.

Since my clients and the server are communicating over a
private LAN, they don't use DNS. However
/etc/nsswitch.conf contains:

   hosts: files dns

and in /etc/hosts I have:

   127.0.0.1               localhost
   192.168.0.10            backuphost

The problem occurred whether I used IP or hostname. I've
also noticed that mount_nfs tended to succeed if preceded
by a ping to the backuphost. I rebooted a client and tried
mounting without ping and it worked just fine. It's all
behaving really flakily. Basically it amounts to sometimes
it works and sometimes it doesn't and there doesn't seem
to be a pattern.

Viren