Logout procedure: Where to call own script?

Eugene Zegers ehazegers at mail.com
Thu May 26 04:44:55 PDT 2005

Hi,

In order to log the logintime for a person on a certain PC running FreeBSD 5.3,
I want to call a "logout procedure" when the person logs out (either out of Gnome or
with a shutdown) as follow:

last -y -t ttyv0 | awk '{print $1,$4,$5,$6,$9}' | loginperiod >> /home/user/<name>/Test.log

where loginperiod is a tested Perl script which will give the required output.
However, the total logintime is written in /var/log/wtmp during the logout process. Just after
that moment, I want to call my script, using the command sequence above, and seperately log the time
in /home of the user (or like: <user>_Timesheet.log instead of Test.log).
I have tried to call this script in /etc/rc.shutdown, but it only creates Test.log as an empty
<total logins>).
Where, during the logout procedure, is /var/log/wtmp updated for the user time?
Where and how should I call the above command sequence in order to seperately log the logintime
for today using the last command??

Thank you in advance for any insights,
Eugene Zegers