two ISP connections, three nics, and a NAT

Muhammad Reza reza at mra.co.id
Thu May 26 02:27:31 PDT 2005

At 11:06 AM 5/12/2005, you wrote:

>> I have two ISP connections, a DSL line and a Cable Modem line. I want
>> to plug both connections into a FreeBSD box that has three nics in
>> it, one nic for each ISP connection and the last nic for my NAT. How
>> can I bind the connections together without any other sort of router?
>

> I setup something similar that may be useful.... We have a small
> office with a 12/24ths of a T-1 line for an absurd amount of money as
> our primary connection. Cheap residential cable service became
> available with quadruple the bandwidth [incoming only] for cheap.
>
> I installed an extra NIC the to cable modem and setup the Squid proxy
> / cache on a f'bsd box that was already running other services. Then
> used some Squid options and IPFW to get all Squid's traffic running
> over the cable line. This gets us faster web and ftp downloads, and
> off-loads the T-1 for other things.
>
> -Wayne

I have similar network configuration (dual home ISP without routing
protocol enabled), and looking for some solution with BSD robust TCP/IP
stack.
PF came with this solution;
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html
but this solution is based on packet filtering anyway, not routing. You
no need to specified your default gateway and you will have problem if
you have Squid running on your gateway box or have NAT rule, that
translate your host public address into private LAN host  address, and
(maybe) many more...
Meanwhile, my gateway box is Linux-2.4.x with iproute2, and can
accomplished this matter.
But i really want to change this into *BSD, i heard that guys from
OpenBSD work on this
(http://www.openbsd.org/plus36.html, Permit multiple default route), but
not worked in my test.
.. what about FreeBSD ?