NFS broken after upgrading to 5.4

Viren Patel virenp at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 25 18:39:58 PDT 2005

> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:31:20PM -0500, Viren Patel
> wrote:
>> Hello all. I have several FreeBSD clients connecting to
>> FreeBSD NFS server via a private gigabit LAN for backup
>> purposes. Both clients and server has IPFW with all
>> traffic between clients and server allowed on the
>> private
>> LAN. All clients and the server were running
>> 5.3-RELEASE-p10 with IPFW, and NFS was working just
>> fine.
>> Then I upgraded all clients to 5.4-RELEASE-p1 and the
>> NFS
>> was working fine. Finally I upgraded the NFS server to
>> 5.4-RELEASE-p1 and now NFS has stopped working. The
>> clients experience RPC timeouts:
>>
>>  RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
>>
>> My NFS server rc.conf has the following as per manual:
>>
>>   nfs_server_enable="YES"
>>   rpcbind_enable="YES"
>>   mountd_flags="-r"
>>
>> Clients have:
>>
>>   nfs_client_enable="YES"
>>
>> IPFW rules amount to:
>>
>> allow all from NFS_SERVER to NFS_CLIENT in via
>> INTERNAL_IF
>> allow all from NFS_CLIENT to NFS_SERVER out via
>> INTERNAL_IF
>>
>> and appear at the top of the ruleset.
>
> Double check this, then triple-check it, because a local
> configuration
> difference like this is likely to be your cause.
>
>> Obviously something has changed in the NFS system under
>> 5.4
>
> Not that I can think of.
>
> Kris

I have checked my configuration multiple times. Nothing
there has changed between 5.3 and 5.4. I have even
disabled the firewalls on both clients and server but the
same problem is present.

Another interesting behavior: upon reboot, mount_nfs
occasionally succeeds. However if I then go to another
client and try to access the NFS server it doesn't work.
If I then go back to the first client and try to unmount
the NFS partition it also hangs.

Viren