Playing Music CD's

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed May 25 13:33:23 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 04:01, Warren wrote:
> I have a lot of music cd's that i have baught over the years and went to
> play them today, but couldnt mount my /cdrom drive.
>
> How do i go about playing music cd's ?  I have FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE and Xmms
> installed.

Go to Xmms preferences and configure the "cd audio player" plugin. There you
can set the cd device and an associated directory. Even though you don't need
to mount audio cds, in  xmms you play a cd by playing this directory as if it
were a directory of audio files. It makes sense to  make it the same as your
mountpoint.

Note that there are two ways to play CDs, one is via the direct link between
the drive and the sound-card, the other is to read the tracks of the disk and
play them like files. Basic CD player apps only use the former, but more
sophisticated players like xmms can do either. I mention this because if you
dont have that wire fitted, you will need to switch the xmms cd plugin to
"digital audio extraction".