ICMP redirect

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed May 25 08:55:21 PDT 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 11:46 AM, FreeBSD questions mailing list wrote:
> Lately i get a lot (really a lot) of these errors:
>
> icmp redirect from 127.0.0.1: <my outside IP> => 127.0.0.1
>
> I have no idea where they come from and better how to get rid of
> them...
> Can anyone point me in a direction to solve this problem?

You are probably trying to access services on the localhost via the
name of your outside IP, rather than via localhost.  I would gather
than you are running NAT somewhere.

You can set up /etc/hosts so that name refers to the inside IP addr,
or set up split DNS.  Another way would be to add an alias of your
outside IP on the machine...

--
-Chuck