Statically linked bash

Valerio Daelli vdaelli at hotmail.com
Wed May 25 01:39:07 PDT 2005

Hello
we are trying to compile a statically linked bash from ports.
I edited the Makefile in /usr/ports/shells/bash with '--enable-static-link'
in CONFIGURE_ARGS.
But it didn't work (it compiled a dynamically linked one).
So I entered in work/bash-3.0 and configured by and with

./configure ...DEFAULT_ARGS...  --enable-static-link

But it didn't work.
So I edited every Makefile in these directories, to include in every gcc
argument -static.
But It didn't work.
That's the last compile operation (notice the -static)

gcc -L./builtins -L./lib/readline -L./lib/readline -L./lib/glob
-L./lib/tilde  -L./lib/sh -static -static -rdynamic  -g -O2 -o bash shell.o
eval.o y.tab.o general.o make_cmd.o print_cmd.o   dispose_cmd.o
execute_cmd.o variables.o copy_cmd.o error.o  expr.o flags.o jobs.o subst.o
hashcmd.o hashlib.o mailcheck.o  trap.o input.o unwind_prot.o pathexp.o
sig.o test.o version.o  alias.o array.o arrayfunc.o braces.o bracecomp.o
bashhist.o  bashline.o  list.o stringlib.o locale.o findcmd.o redir.o
pcomplete.o pcomplib.o syntax.o xmalloc.o -lbuiltins -lsh -lreadline
-lhistory -ltermcap -lglob  -ltilde  /usr/local/lib/libintl.so
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so

But I keep getting a
#file bash
bash: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), for
FreeBSD 5.4, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Thanks a milion

Valerio Daelli