Tuning Hard Disks

Luyt luyt at ovosoft.nl
Tue May 24 19:48:26 PDT 2005

Interesting.

I did an 'atacontrol cap 0 0' and this came up (see below).  It tells that my
disk has 'SMART' support, but it isnt enabled. Any idea how I can enable it?

ATA channel 0, Master, device ad0:

Protocol              Serial ATA v1.0
device model          Maxtor 6Y200M0
serial number         Y6988PLE
firmware revision     YAR511W0
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported       398297088 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
SATA NCQ                       no        -      0/0x00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      0/0x00
automatic acoustic management  yes      yes     254/0xFE        192/0xC0

--

"The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness
the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across