trying to use vga11x19.pcf.gz with rxvt under Xorg

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 12:41:19 PDT 2005

Hello,

I am advised by the bitchx faq that the best xterm
environment to run bitchx under is rxvt, with the
vga11x19 font.

So I installed rxvt from the ports tree, and ran:

rxvt -bg black -fg white -fn vga11x19

it did indeed start, but I received the error:

rxvt: can't load font "vga11x19"

Sure enough, I do not have that font.  So I searched
for it and downloaded the file vga11x19.pcf.gz and
placed it into my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
directory.  I then ran `rehash`.

However I get the same error from rxvt.

How can I incorporate this new font file into my
system such that rxvt can find it ?  Would it help to
just re-init my Xserver ?  Or should I be able to drop
new font files into that dir and use them on the fly ?

thanks.