installing / updating ports on an older (4.8 system)

Joey Mingrone joey at mingrone.org
Tue May 24 10:26:47 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have a box running 4.8.  I only have ssh access so I can't update the OS
at the moment, but I would like to update certain ports.  I'm running into
a few problems.  The worst is when I update a port it tries to update /
install dependencies that are already up to date.  For example, when I try
to update vim, it tries to install gmake-3.80_2, which is already
installed.  The build/install ends with the following error message:

===>  Installing for gmake-3.80_2
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if devel/gmake already installed
===>   gmake-3.80_2 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/gmake
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gmake.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/pkgconfig.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/editors/vim.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script
-qa /tmp/portupgrade34605.0 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
        ! editors/vim (vim-6.3.16)      (unknown build error)
--->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed

I did try the make deinstall / reinstall but with the same results.  If I
unistall gmake (and other dependencies) then just build vim, it will work,
but deinstalling dependencies before every update is a little cumbersome.

A second and possibly related problem is that building an index fails.  I
read the following on http://freebsd.org/ports

The Ports Collection supports the latest release on the FreeBSD-CURRENT and
FreeBSD-STABLE branches. Older releases are not supported and may or may
not work correctly with an up-to-date ports collection.

So am I out of luck or is there any help out there?

Thanks,

Joey