Some HTTP clients only receive first 4k

Scott Stevenson scott at maxify.com
Tue May 24 10:08:45 PDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Mykel wrote:

>> 1. Affected clients consistently receive only the first 4096
>> bytes  of .html and .css files. After that, they encounter a
>> single garbage  character (looks like a memory stomp), and then
>> nothing.
>>
>> 2. At least two of the sites hosted on the machine are affected.
>>
>> 3. The issue can be reproduced via the W3 validator:
[...]
>> 4. At least in the case of the validator, the requests don't show
>> up  in Apache's access or error logs! This is consistently
>> reproducible.
>>
>> 5. For some reason, clients consistently only get to byte 3883
>> (or  perhaps 3884) in .php files, and then get the garbage character.
>
> Perhaps there's an MTU problem along the way? Can you ping/
> traceroute all the way between endpoints? Some people idiotically
> block all ICMP, when they probably just want to filter ICMP ECHO...
> (idijjits... ping ain't the biggest of your problems)

I can't see how this would explain:

1. No entry in the access log for the initial request
2. PHP files being truncated at a different length (3883/3884 bytes)
than HTML and CSS (4096)

Also, I never saw this problem when a linux machine was running on
the same network with the same IP. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

    - Scott