Articles, Tutorials & hardware setting in loader.conf

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue May 24 08:51:27 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:33:10PM +0200, vdm.fbsd at virgilio.it wrote:
> As a newbye I just need a pointer, a hint to the following two subjects:
>
> 1) Where can I find a clear explanationt on how to use the many,
> multilingual articles, books, tutorials and documentation coming with
> a standard 5.4 version (in sgml format). In a nutshell, how can I
> obtain a "readable" article or tutorial starting fron those files?

Normally HTML and plain text formats of the italic translations are
installed in /usr/share/doc/it_IT.ISO8859-15/. English docs can be found
in /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/.

> 2) Trying to solve a problem with my touchpad mouse I had to add
> hw.psm.flags="0x100" into /boot/loader.conf.

The meaning of the flags for the psm driver is explained in the psm
manpage. Execute 'man psm' from the console or xterm.

> I tried hard googling to find a complete explanation on those commands
> that I understand prevent from rebuilding kernels with specific
> options, but I only met fragmentary stuff not a complete view on the
> subject. Have you anything to suggest?

The so-called sysctl above as nothing to do with recompiling the
kernel. It is just one of the many kernel parameters that can be changed
without recompiling the kernel. See 'man sysctl'.

HTH,
	Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.