tracking down network load?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Tue May 24 07:37:40 PDT 2005

On 05/24/05 12:28 PM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:35:25 -0500
> Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > In the last episode (May 23), Louis LeBlanc said:
> > > I have a strange question.  Well, maybe not so strange.
> > >
> > > I am working on my 5.3 RELEASE system, and I notice my network
> > > monitor on gkrellm is showing unexplained loads (15/23Kbps sustained)
> > > in traffic on the external interface.
> > >
> > > I'm not too concerned that this is a security breach, but I do notice
> > > at least one ESTABLISHED connection that I can't explain (it goes
> > > back to AOL, which naturally sows a little mistrust).
> > >
> > > Anyway, how to I find the actual process (server or otherwise) on my
> > > end that is handling a given connection, and what kind of load it is
> > > handling?
> >
> > sockstat or "lsof -i" will tell you which sockets belong to which
> > processes, and tcpdump or any of a dozen or so programs in ports will
> > give you detailed network usage.  Start with trafshow and iftop.
>
> Nice thing iftop; unfortunately iftop is not maintained and on my
> 5-STABLE after a few seconds:

Ah.  Love those neat little utilities you install when you need them
then forget once the unexplained behavior subsides or is explained.  I
installed mine some time ago, and apparently upgraded the port back in
February.  Of course I forgot I had such a tool long before.

Ah well.  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll keep your message around and
hopefully I'll find it if this odd behavior should crop back up.

BTW, I don't seem to have any problems with it - so far.  If you were
to keep the code around in the port, you might be able to figure out
the problem.

> Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

I love it!  I might have to borrow that (it's not copyrighted, is it?) :D

Thanks again.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

today, n.:
  A nice place to visit, but you can't stay here for long.