Samba Config

Joseph Borg juu.borg at gmail.com
Tue May 24 00:59:35 PDT 2005

Hi,
I don't know whether this is the appropriate list to ask but since my
install is on FreeBSD, I thought I'd try.

I've got a FreeBSD server 5.4 running samba 3.x. I then have 3 Windows
XP Pro Stand Alone PCs. I'd like to use the samba server as a simple
file share/network drive server. I would not like to run it as a
domain controllers.

I'm therefore going to use a simple workgroup. The samba server would
have multiple shares and, ideally, each share will have read and/or
write access according to the PC/user accessing it. Is there any way
of doing this in a simple manner? Ideally I'l like to avoid users
having to explicitely authenticate each time they need to access a
shared drive.

I originally thought of assigning permissions according to IP address
(since xp pcs have static ips...this would have worked fine for me,
but i can't find out if its possible).

Please note that I'm not looking for bullet proof security. I simply
want a way to implicitely assign a given user permissions to a share,
without complex authentication.

thanks,

Joe