mapping mouse clicks to keystrokes in X ?

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 00:19:29 PDT 2005

I want my two mouse buttons to create the letters z
and x when I press them, instead of the normal actions
that those mouse buttons send to X.  Don't ask.

It's as simple as it sounds:  if I click mouse button
one, it is as if I press z on the keyboard, if I click
mouse button 2, it is as if I press x on the keyboard.

Does anyone know how to do this ?  I am looking at
xmodmap, but even though it swaps mouse buttons
around, and maps keys to other keys, I can't see how
to make it map mouse buttons to keys...

Any ideas ?