WIFI DHCP

K. Greenwood k_greenwood1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 21:33:54 PDT 2005

--- Eric Schuele <e.schuele at computer.org> wrote:
> Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:52:01PM -0700, Beecher
> Rintoul wrote:
> >

> >>I would like to use a wireless card as my primary
> internet connection.
> >>I have read the manual and see nothing mentioned
> about setting up the
> >>card to use DHCP.
> >

> > Then you've looked in the wrong place. :-)
> >

> >>I do not have a static ip on the access point I'm
> >>connecting to. How do I set the card to use DHCP?
> >

> > Look at section 23.5 (Automatic Network
> Configuration). In short:
> > - make sure that "device bpf" is in the kernel (it
> is in GENERIC)
> > - edit /etc/rc.conf to put the interface in DHCP:
> 'ifconfig_XXX="DHCP"'
> >   where XXX is the name of your wireless card.
>
> Additionally... you should man dhclient,
> dhclient.conf, and
> dhclient.leases.  IMHO: `ifconfig_XXX="DHCP"` is
> only part of the equation.
>
> You may have to craft a dhclient.conf file to help
> your card associate
> with its access point.  The dhclient.conf file will
> help you specify
> things like the SSID, weptxkey, wepmode, mode (11a,
> 11b, or 11g),
> wepkey, etc

Mr. Schuele was *very* helpful in the following post.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-October/059938.html

Once I got a chipset that was supported by "Project
Evil" (aka Mr. Paul's NDISulator) all was well.  FYI,
broadcom sucks... Intersil rules.

*pciconf -vl* tells much.

Good luck.