Tuning Hard Disks

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon May 23 13:56:04 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 11:12:59AM -0700, Benjamin Keating wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'd like to tweak my drives / view there current configurations. I get
> really slow xfers from two machine in the same, quite, LAN (both
> running FBSD 5.4 with good Intell Pro100 NICS). Im not sure if DMA is
> enabled or not so I'd like to start with figuring out what to use to
> view this info. Anything like hdparm?

Assuming you have ATA drives, do the following (as root)

run 'atacontrol list' to see which channel number the drive is on. Then
try 'atacontrol mode N', where N is the channel number. This wil give
you the current transfer mode of the drive. You can also use atacontrol
to set the mode. See the manual page.

You can see if DMA is enabled with 'sysctl hw.ata.ata_dma'.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt