Is it safe to use stable packages on a release system?

Tim tyskdisciplin at yahoo.se
Mon May 23 08:41:33 PDT 2005

Hello

I am considering changing the PACKAGESITE env var to point to "packages-stable" directory. I am wondering if there are any implications if doing this on a release 5.4 system (where rebuilds are done only for security issues)? I figure this must be the case since there dosen't seem to be any mentions of this in the instructions for compiling ports but just to be certain since this is not the default configuration.

Thanks!