nfs: fstab or automount

Tony Shadwick tshadwick at goinet.com
Mon May 23 07:46:09 PDT 2005

Are they all going to be running FreeBSD, or do you have a mix of 'nix's
running?

The automounter for osx for example is incompatible with FreeBSD's
automounter.  I can't speak for Linux, but the possibility exists.

If you don't have a redundancy environment set up for /home to automount
from point a, and if it fails, try from point b, then just use fstab.

That, and use a hostname rather than an IP address in fstab.  That way, if
box a goes down, you can change an entry in DNS and now box b can server
nfs.