free space showing wrong; fsck doesn't help

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Mon May 23 06:46:49 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 09:37:09AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert said:
> Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > Please check the archives and the handook regarding system reserved
> > space on file systems.   This has been covered so many times it makes
> > my carpal tunnel ache just to think about typing stuff about it again.
>
> In fact, it's been covered so many times that it's been in the
> Frequently Asked Questions list for many years now.

Searching for terms such as 'freebsd fsck incorrect free space' and
'freebsd reporting incorrect free space' were obviously not the right
things to be searching for in order to bring up the FAQ page in the
results.

I did not consult it directly.  I reiterate; perhaps the operating system
could have been more helpful (by way of fsck being able to detect this
problem or by having more details of the problem logged to
/var/log/messages) because it was not obvious in the first instance that
the FreeBSD FAQ was to be my first port of call.

Next time you see me post any request to this list, you can be assured I
will have checked the FAQ most thoroughly.

Regards,

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net