free space showing wrong; fsck doesn't help

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon May 23 06:26:27 PDT 2005

> I have a partition showing the wrong free disk space on FreeBSD 5.3:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD nautilus.bugman.cx 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004 root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> [adam at nautilus /home/adam]$ df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    248M     46M    182M    20%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad0s1e    248M    224K    228M     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1f     34G    6.7G     25G    21%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1d    248M     37M    191M    16%    /var
> /dev/ad2s1d    180G    168G   -2.4G   101%    /data
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /var/named/dev
>
> Notice the /data partition....
>
> Used and Size don't mathematically calculate.  It's causing all sorts of
> errors when programs try and write to the disk...

Please check the archives and the handook regarding system reserved
space on file systems.   This has been covered so many times it makes
my carpal tunnel ache just to think about typing stuff about it again.

Briefly, the system reserves a portion - 8% by default - on a file
system to deal with possibilities of needing cleanup and operating space
if a file system fills up.   The per cent is settable, but 8 has worked
well and has become the default.

////jerry