dhclient on FreeBSD-4.10

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Sun May 22 12:19:15 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 02:43:05PM -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I'm having a problem with dhclient on FreeBSD-4.10, where I can't seem
> to get it to work properly.

Just what are you doing to test? I suggest killing dhclient and starting
it manually, "killall dhclient; /sbin/dhclient fxp0"

Then look at the contents of /etc/resolv.conf to see if its written the
way you expect. If so then dhclient is working and named is not. The way
you stated the problem it isn't clear as to whether you have evidence
whether dhclient is not working or named.

> My ISP uses DHCP (Comcast), and I want to use my own "named" instance,
> opting to forward to theirs.   According to the dhclient.conf manpage, I
> should be able to do either of these:
>
>     interface "fxp0" {
>             prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
>     }
>
>     # supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
>     #       supersede domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
>

> And I've tried both, they do not work.

This works for me. Could use prepend rather than supersede on
domain-name-servers and retian a fall-back failsafe direct to one's ISP.

interface "fxp0" {
        supersede domain-name "home.local";
        supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
}

The result of the above is:
%  cat /etc/resolv.conf
search home.local