Problems with both linux-vsound and vsound

Ada Cheng acheng at kettering.edu
Sun May 22 03:08:52 PDT 2005

Good morning,
 	I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.4 on my new pc. I
have install linux-realplayer.  All ports are up to date.

I then install linux-vsound and tried to capture audio but resulted in
the following error when I ran vsound -f test.wav realplay audiofile.rm :

libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libdl.so.2" not found, required by "libvsound.so"
Missing file ./vsound7915.au.
This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty. A
possible reason is that the program you are trying to run is
setuid. In this case you will need to run vsound as root.

Attempting to run the command with root result in the same error.  The
shared object "libdl.so.2" is located in /usr/compat/linux/lib

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel    14B Apr  5 05:51 libdl.so.2 -> libdl-2.3.2.so

I do have the path set included: setenv results with

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/compat/linux/lib:/acheng/bin

I tried desinstalling linux-vsound and install vsound instead.  I ran the
same command (vsound -f test.wav realplay audiofile.rm) and get the
following error message:

About to start the application. The output will not be available
until the application exits.
Bus error (core dumped)
Missing file ./vsound9126.au.
This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty.
Here are some the possible reasons :
  - You are trying to record a stream (RTSP or PNM protocol) from
    the internet. You will need to use the --timing option.
  - The program you are trying to run is setuid. You will need to
    run vsound as root.
  - Vsound was not properly installed and hence won't work at all.

I have tried it with the -t option but results in the same error.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ada