uname -a output does not change after kernel upgrade

Daniel Gerzo danger at rulez.sk
Sat May 21 13:32:39 PDT 2005

Hello freebsd-questions,

Saturday, May 21, 2005, 10:03:51 PM, you wrote these comments:

> Daniel,

> How can I now which kernel is loaded?

sysctl -a | grep kernel

> I'm actually struggling with RAID-1 and gmirror issue
> that I wanted to ask when 'uname -a' issue is fixed.

I'm not experienced with gmirror at all.

> Here is --- cat /boot/loader.conf --
> geom_mirror_load="YES"
> kern.geom.mirror.debug=2
> kern.geom.mirror.timeout=0

> I remembered that I had created /boot.config file
> with following content, but now when I checked it,
> ir was not there.

> --- cat /boot.config ---
> 1:ad(6,a)/boot/loader

this doesn't have anything with kernel config I think.
actually, I know only one way how to implicitly set the kernel boot
file. One can do so by adding line

kernel="path/to/kernel"

into /boot/loader.conf

> It looks like you ar right and I realy have booted
> the old kernel. Because when I wanted
> to remove second hdd from mirror I got such a result:

> server# gmirror forget /dev/ad4s1
> Userland and kernel parts are out of sync.

that's because you're using the old kernel with the new world.

> Is it better that I start new conversation with new Subject
> and describe how I got all this mess?

That's up to you. Personally I don't think it is needed. You should
firstly try to build a new kernel AND install it. If you are using
your own kernel config file, you should add KERNCONF=CONFIGNAME to the
make (build|install)kernel command.

--
Best Regards,

 DanGer, ICQ: 261701668  | e-mail protecting at: http://www.2pu.net/
 http://danger.rulez.sk  | proxy list at:        http://www.proxy-web.com/
                         | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!

[ It's more than good enough so I ain't switch'n to anythin' else! ]